Insisting on the Indispensable: International Conference on Youth Futures
13 October 2016 9:00 AM – 16 October 2016 4:00 PM
Institute for Youth and Community Research, The University of the West of Scotland, Ayr Campus
Keynote Featuring: Distinguished Professor Henry A. Giroux*
Disposable Futures: The War on Youth in the Age of Spectacle www.henryagiroux.com/index.html
On Henry Giroux:
“Giroux’s creativity, his openness to questions, his curiosity, his doubt, his uncertainties, his courage to take risks, and his rigorous methodological and theoretical approaches to important themes characterize him as one of the great thinkers of his time not only in the United States, but also in many foreign countries. For Giroux, there is no hope without a future to be made, to be built, to be shaped.”
Paulo Freire, Educator and Philosopher
*Henry A. Giroux currently holds the McMaster University Chair for Scholarship in the Public Interest in the English and Cultural Studies Department, and a Distinguished Visiting Professorship at Ryerson University. His most recent books are: Disposable Futures; The Seduction of Violence in the Age of Spectacle; The Violence of Organized Forgetting; Neoliberalism’s War on Higher Education; American’s Education Deficit and the War on Youth; and On Critical Pedagogy. He has been named by The Public Intellectuals Project as one of the top Canadians Changing the Way We Think.
Call for Papers:
Papers/Symposia Submissions are now sought on the Conference Strands listed below:
Cultural Studies of Youth
Youth and Community Work
Critical Youth Pedagogy
Youth: Arts and Digital Media
Politics, Empowerment and Youth
Please submit the following information:
· Strand selected
· Presentation format (Paper, Symposium, Performance (format can be varied. Performance or art-based research is welcome as are traditional paper presentations.)
· Title of Proposal
· Contact email address
· 250 Word abstract
· Proposals should be submitted as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.orgQ
· Abstract submission NOW OPEN (due to limited space, abstracts will be reviewed weekly. Submissions will be closed when maximum acceptances/registration have been reached)
· Symposia will include 4-6 participants.
· Paper presentations should reflect a 15 minute presentation with question and answer period.
Thursday 13th October – pre-conference event held at the Burns Museum http://www.burnsmuseum.org.uk
Cost £20.00 includes Welcome reception and entry to Burns museum
Full Conference Rates 14th – 16th inclusive:
Special Rate £225.00
On site Rate £270.00
Postgraduate Students £100.00
CLD and/or Youth Worker £100.00
Book your place here.
These rates include:
· Conference pack and programme booklet (issued at the registration desk)
· Lunch and Dinner (Saturday), coffee and snacks during breaks, Fri – Sun
· Welcome Reception and In Conversation with Henry Giroux on 14th October
Sadly the expense will put many folk off.