“CREATIVITY IS ALLOWING YOURSELF TO MAKE MISTAKES, ART IS KNOWING WHICH ONES TO KEEP.” Scott Adams
Thanks to Sophie Holgate for the photo and report on the IDYW Storytelling Workshop held at the Brighton Youth Centre as part of Brighton’s Youth Arts Festival. It begins:
On Thursday 2nd June the In Defence of Youth Work team including Sue, Tanya and Adam came to BYC to do a storytelling workshop with young people and youth workers to discuss Youth Work and what it means.
The first talking point was the group discussing in twos and threes “What Makes Good Youth Work?” and below are some of the key points that came up:
- Friendly youth workers
- Adaptable to different people and age groups
- Respectful of acknowledging young peoples individuality and skills
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Important for young people to be able to have freedom of speech at a youth centre and feel safe to discuss things with the youth workers there.
- Young people led rather than youth workers pushing young people towards an activity that is already there.
- General and more specific youth work to be able to include everyone and cater to everyone’s needs.
Read and see more at http://www.b-fest.org.uk/defence-youth-work/